Ethics and Clinical Audit — a local workshop for clinical audit, clinical effectiveness and quality development leaders
Benefits of the workshop
Some people think that ethics issues have to be formally considered only for research projects. However, ethics issues can arise in clinical audits or quality improvement projects.
Leaders, managers and facilitators of clinical audit or quality improvement programmes all have to be able to recognize the ethics issues that relate to individual clinical audit or quality improvement programmes and projects. They also have to be able to decide exactly which projects, parts of projects, or cases should be referred for consideration of ethics issues.
The workshop reviews the international evidence base on ethics issues related to clinical audit and quality improvement and provides advice on how to provide for ethics oversight of clinical audit and quality improvement activities and to handle specific situations.
The workshop is for leaders, managers and staff who will need to ensure that there are robust systems and processes in place to recognize and handle properly ethics issues related to clinical audit and quality improvement projects or activities.
The workshop helps participants recognize and decide how to handle ethics issues related to clinical audit and quality improvement programmes and projects. Participants learn:
- ethics principles and how they apply to clinical audit and quality improvement activities
- the range of ethics-related issues referenced in the literature and reported from experiences of healthcare organizations
- questions that can be used to screen clinical audit or quality improvement project proposals to identify ethics issues
- how to identify projects or parts of projects that should be referred for ethics advice and the material that should be prepared to help decision-makers
- how to handle ethics issues related to clinical audit and quality improvement activities
- how to provide for ethics oversight of clinical audit
- how to develop a code of ethics for staff supporting clinical audit and quality improvement programmes.
Venue and workshop format
The workshop includes a summary of international evidence on ethics and clinical audit and quality improvement and implications for best practice. It also includes practical examples and guidance. We provide the workshop locally or regionally on request on a date convenient to local organizations. The workshop day begins at 9.15 am and ends at 4.30 pm.
Each participant receives a workbook that includes:
- a summary of the evidence base and how it applies to clinical audit and quality improvement
- specific ethics issues related to clinical audit and quality improvement
- practical guidance on how to screen clinical audit and quality improvement programmes and projects and provide for ethical oversight of programmes and projects
- practical assignments for learners to complete in the workshop.
Our Guide to Ethical Practice for Clinical Audit is provided to workshop participants. Certificates of attendance are also provided.
View a calendar of dates for national courses.
Contact us to register for a national course or to arrange a local course in your organization or area.